Thread: Etwall Area Forum Meeting 7.00pm 4th February 2008

Etwall Area Forum Meeting 7.00pm 4th February 2008

Posted on behalf of::

RESIDENTS’ ORGANISATION AGAINST RAILHEAD

Without Prejudice

We thought you would like to know that we believe South Derbyshire District Council were wrong in not allowing residents to raise their concerns on the proposed development of a Railhead on Egginton Common at the South Derbyshire Local Area Forum – Etwall held on the 8th October.

The Chairman (a South Derbyshire District Councillor) at this meeting cited a Council ruling, dated May 1997 (11 years ago), that it is not permissible to allow any discussion or comments relating to site specific current or potential planning applications. (This is the first time since 1997 they have enforced this ruling, coincidentally a few months before an expected Planning Application from Severn Trent Water to develop Egginton Common).

Interestingly the proposed Railhead and Warehousing project was discussed at the previous South Derbyshire Local Area Forum – Etwall held on the 21st May 2008, as the minutes of the meeting testify.

This suppression of the right to free speech by SDDC and their denial of the democratic process is one of the principle reasons why R.O.A.R. was set up.

R.O.A.R has recently been passed correspondence which states the Council ruling relates to discussion on existing planning applications only and as Severn Trent Water has not, as yet, submitted a planning application, we can see no reason why discussion on the proposed development was forbidden at the meeting on 8th October. The actual wording of the ruling, which was emailed to us by a supporter of R.O.A.R., is detailed below:-

“I am advised by the Democratic Services Manager that when the Council approved arrangements for the establishment of Area Committees in May 1997, guidelines were approved which stated that delegations in relation to planning applications would not be permitted. At the first cycle of all Area Committees (including Etwall Area Committee on 30th July 1997), Councillor Alan Lewis, the Leader of the Council, gave a presentation on the role of Area Committees. As part of this presentation, it was advised that discussion on planning applications would not be allowed. On the very rare occasions that anyone has raised a planning issue at an Area Forum, they have been informed that discussion of such matters is not allowed at these Meetings as there is a separate consultation process in place when planning applications have been submitted. In addition, Members should be mindful of the approved Members' Planning Code of Good Practice which is part of the Council’s Constitution which applies to Members at all times when involving themselves in the planning process.”

So nowhere is it in the constitution or written documents (agreed by the Council) that these Local Area Forum meetings cannot listen to residents concerns or review information about future or potential planning applications.

The Chief Executive of SDDC was asked to comment on the apparent discrepancy between the wording of the ruling above and the decision of the Chairman at the South Derbyshire Local Area Forum – Etwall held in October 2008 to disallow discussion on the Railhead proposal. He was also asked to comment on the fact there was open discussion on the Railhead proposal at the previous South Derbyshire Local Area Forum meeting in May 2008.

Unfortunately he was unable to reply. However correspondence received from the Director of Corporate Services, in the Chief Executive’s absence, refers to the protocol regarding the discussion of planning matters for Members of SDDC, as being the guidance policy which Council officials must adhere to. In this guidance, which is available on the SDDC website, there is no mention of the protocol covering potential, future or possible planning applications that might or might not come to submission. Also in this correspondence there was a denial that discussion on the Railhead development took place at the Etwall Area Forum in May 2008 when the minutes of that meeting (also available on the SDDC website) quite clearly states there was.

In the light of this we believe local residents should be entitled to the right of full and open discussion on this subject at the next scheduled Etwall Area Forum Meeting, which is due to be held at the Frank Wickham Hall, Etwall at 7pm on 4th February 2009,. If representatives from South Derbyshire District Council do not wish to take part, then let them listen to our concerns instead.

You are strongly urged to use this opportunity to make your views known at this forthcoming meeting - so make a note of 7pm, 4th February in your diary and come along so you can have your say.

Please pass this on to anyone you think is interested this matter.

Re: Etwall Area Forum Meeting 7.00pm 4th February 2008

Jobs to the local area or keeping a greenish field, try telling folk loosing jobs to answer this

Use of land that has no particular public access, view of from a vantage point, or interesting feature

Is the area that precious

Do we really need to be that worried about the noise, will the planes from EMA actually be noisier going over head

I dont see the Etwall, Eggington and Hilton folk moaning about the planes

Folk better wise up and realise the reality of the fact we do not live miles from anywhere in sleepy countryside but in a semi urban conurbation

Enough said

Get on with it SDDC lets someone build the thing

Blog Entries

I think there are 2 points really, whether you agree with the building of the thing or not:

1) The council are doing nothing to ease the fears of residents that the whole thing isn't going to be steamrollered through without discussion. I wasn't at the meeting in question, but to simply throw a council ruling in like they did really doesn't make me think they're open to the idea of residents having a say.

2) Why extend a village to such an extent, target the professional people they have as residents and THEN build a ruddy great big rail head next to it? We're not talking about jobs for locals here anymore, we're talking about a massive residential development being over shadowed by a commercial one.

I'm not a NIMBY but I do think that, had I known the future of Hilton would look like it does, I would have chosen to live elsewhere!
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan
    I think there are 2 points really, whether you agree with the building of the thing or not:

1) The council are doing nothing to ease the fears of residents that the whole thing isn't going to be steamrollered through without discussion. I wasn't at the meeting in question, but to simply throw a council ruling in like they did really doesn't make me think they're open to the idea of residents having a say.

2) Why extend a village to such an extent, target the professional people they have as residents and THEN build a ruddy great big rail head next to it? We're not talking about jobs for locals here anymore, we're talking about a massive residential development being over shadowed by a commercial one.

I'm not a NIMBY but I do think that, had I known the future of Hilton would look like it does, I would have chosen to live elsewhere!

A simple differing view here but its a good debate

Not really bothered about the council rules and regs more is it really worth worrrying about that much

Exactly how much closer will the Railhead be to Hilton than the Toyota factory or the Nestle factory at Hatton, the smell from Nestles is as intrusive to some folk as the possible noise off the rail head, dont forget we are the right side of the hole thing with the prevailing wind so Willington will I guess hear more

Did the extension of the village occur pre or post the A50 upgrade, because now the major road hub we have with A50 A38 and connections with a rail link offer a great opportunity to develop these areas of land

Will it be seen from Hilton?

Will it look any worse than the current industrial estate which never in our lifetime stay as it is, that has to be expected, anyone moving to Hilton had to expect the possible change of use for this area in any 10 year period

To live elsewhere, ok, your view, but how far from industry and such like do you want

Is there a link to a map of the actual area to be developed

Wait until the folk in Willington wish they had houses on the former power station when that site now clearly can only get industrial use, perhaps even the waste centre or even in the long term the rail head located there

There will be more than just it floods for the reason not to build on there

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hiltonians
    A simple differing view here but its a good debate
    And I think that's the important bit really. We're having a debate about it.

Until the SDDC open up a little and talk to the residents, any plans are only ever going to be received with suspicion! In realiy, you can't blame people for wondering what's going on if everything seems to be happening behind close doors?

I suppose my comment regarding living else where was probably a little strong, but then if this turns out to be anything like the DERFT near Daventry it'll have a massive effect on the locality.
    Nathan.

the site must be I guess within the land surrounded by the A50, A38, Carriers Lane A5132 and Eggington from running from Etwall to Eggington

Road access off the A38 or A50 direct

Rail transport increase might mean an improvement to the crossing blackspot we have at Eggington / Hilton operated by hand and taking for ever, one of only 30 something like it left in the country would you believe

What the expanding village needs rightly is better facilities an old issue

Will have a look at what I can find on the web later but I would have more worries about what long term the current industrial estate on our doorstep gets used for ong term